Lectin Free Hush Puppies Bread
by: Seema Racela
by: Seema Racela
There’s no way around it, I love southern food. My family thinks my hush puppies are amazing! Crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. They are so flavorful on their own, but also taste great with melted butter or a dusting of powdered monkfruit sweetener. If you like, add some cooked shrimp or conch into the batter for island style fritters! It’s fun to get creative with this base recipe! See below for my recipe and YouTube tutorial. Enjoy!
-Frying oil (I use a mix of avocado oil and extra virgin olive oil)
-1 pastured egg
-1/2 cup A2 casein milk
-1/2 tablespoon onion, grated then minced
-1 tablespoon green onions, chopped
-1 cup lectin free flour (I use 1/2 c blanched almond, 1/4 c arrowroot, 1/8 c tapioca, 1/8 c coconut flours)
-1/4 cup millet flour
-2 teaspoon corn and aluminum free baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Pour the oil into a pot and heat over medium high heat. You do not have to fill the pot with oil, but pour enough for frying.
2. Whisk the egg into a medium sized bowl.
3. Add the milk, onion, and green onions to the bowl and whisk.
4. Add the flours, baking powder, and salt to the bowl, toss, then whisk to combine. The batter should be thick and slowly fall off the whisk. If it’s not, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
5. Drop spoonfuls of the the batter into the hot oil. Flip when the bottoms begin to brown.
6. Move the hush puppies around the oil to ensure that the other sides are browned as well.
7. Use a slotted spoon or spatula to transfer the hush puppies to a plate lined with a paper towel. Enjoy!
Soy free, rice free, oat free, potato free, nightshade free, peanut free, cashew free, allergy friendly