Lectin Free "Pop Tart" Hand Pies
by: Seema Racela
"Pop Tart" Hand Pies
by: Seema Racela
Everyone in my family loves my delicious hand pies! My pastry has a smooth, buttery texture and my kids love getting creative with the fillings for their individual pies. We usually stuff them with some homemade jam, chocolate fudge, and almond paste. My kids think the ones stuffed with jam taste like “pop-tarts”! It's such a fun recipe. Enjoy!
-1 cup lectin free flour (I use 1/2 c blanched almond, 1/4 c arrowroot, 1/8 c tapioca, 1/8 c coconut flours)
-1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon monkfruit sweetener (optional)
-1/3 cup homemade, French, or A2 butter
-1 pastured egg yolk, whisked
-1-2 tablespoons A2 milk
-Fillings such as jam, chocolate or meat/cheese/veggies for savory pies
1. Whisk the flour, xanthan gum, salt, and monkfruit together in a bowl.
2. Using a pastry cutter (or fingers), cut the butter into the flour (it should look like little pebbles).
3. Add the milk and gently toss with your hand. If it is too dry, add a little more milk or if it is too wet, add more flour.
4. Gather the dough into a ball and shape into a disc.
5. Wrap the dough in a beeswax or cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes
6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper.
7. Roll the dough between a lightly floured silpat mat or parchment paper and cut into desired shapes using a knife or cookie cutter.
8. Add fillings to the center of the pies and cover with a plain piece of dough of the same shape and size.
9. Seal the pies by pressing shut with a fork or your fingers.
10. Using a spatula, transfer the pies to the prepared baking sheet.
11. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. Enjoy!
Soy free, rice free, oat free, peanut free, cashew free, allergy friendly