Lectin Free Rugelach Cookies
by: Seema Racela
by: Seema Racela
My homemade rugelachs taste so delicious! In fact, they are one of my favorite cookies, as they remind me of the rugelachs that my mom would often bring home from our local bakery when I was a kid. I’ve made them two ways: round and crescent shaped. I suggest making round cookies because they take less time to roll out:). Enjoy!
-1/3 cup organic cream cheese, softened
-1/8 cup organic sour cream
-1/2 cup homemade butter, softened (or French or A2 butter)
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
-1/2 cup lectin free flour (I use 1/4 c blanched almond, 1/8 c arrowroot, 1 tablespoon tapioca, and 1 tablespoon coconut flours)
-3 tablespoons monkfruit sweetener
-1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts)
-1/4 cup currants
-1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
-A2 casein milk (or other compliant milk)
1. Using a hand mixer, mix the cream cheese, sour cream, and butter in a bowl until combined.
2. Stir in the flour, salt, and xanthan gum with a rubber spatula to form a dough.
3. Flatten into a disc, cover, and refrigerate for an hour.
4. Meanwhile, add all of the filling ingredients into a food processor and pulse until the nuts are chopped into small pieces.
5. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place a silpat mat on a baking sheet and set aside.
6. Sprinkle another silpat mat and a rolling pin with arrowroot flour.
7. Split the dough into 3 equal pieces and roll out each piece into a rectangular shape with the pin (or round circle for crescent cookies).
8. Rub a little water on top of the dough and spread the filling evenly on top of each piece of dough.
9. Using your hands, roll the dough into logs and cut into circles (or cut the circle dough into pizza slices and roll into crescents).
10. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet and brush with milk.
11. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops are brown (depending on your oven and how thinly you rolled the dough).
12. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy or store in an airtight container!
Soy free, rice free, oat free, peanut free, cashew free, allergy friendly