Lectin Free Shepherds Pie
by: Seema Racela
by: Seema Racela
Shepherd's pie is a cozy dish that my entire family enjoys! Mashed kohlrabi works as a tasty substitute for potatoes and adding mushrooms into the mix really boosts the flavor! We often use grass fed ground beef or venison for this recipe, which both taste amazing. My husband makes a modified version of this dish for our puppy in a 5” lodge cast iron skillet, which is one of his favorite treats! I’ve written it in the recipe, but do NOT add onions if you’re making this for your dog. Enjoy!
-1 kohlrabi, peeled and chopped
-2 tablespoons organic heavy cream or A2 milk
-2 tablespoons homemade, A2, or French butter
-1 lb ground grass-fed venison or beef
-1/4 cup onions, diced (omit if making for a dog)
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 cup mushrooms, chopped
-1/2 cup kale or spinach, chopped
-1/4 cup carrots, chopped
-1/4 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
-1/8 teaspoons dried sage
-Salt to taste
-1/3 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
-Nutritional yeast (optional)
-Extra virgin olive oil
1. For the mash:
-Bring a pot of water to boil and cook the kohlrabi until soft (about 30 mins).
-Drain and purée in a food processor. Set aside about 1/2 cup of the puréed kohlrabi for your dog’s pie.
-Add the heavy cream, butter, and a sprinkle of salt into the food processor and blend with the remaining kohlrabi. Set aside for your pie.
2. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
3. Coat the bottom of a 8” Lodge cast iron skillet with oil and warm over med. heat.
4. Add the onions (skip if for a dog) and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the garlic, mushrooms, kale, carrots, rosemary, and sage and cook until most of the water has evaporated.
6. Add the meat and cook until no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt.
7. Scoop some of the meat mixture into the Lodge mini skillet for your dog and spread the plain puréed kohlrabi on top. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
8. Spread your kohlrabi on top of the meat in the 8” skillet and sprinkle with grated cheese and nutritional yeast.
9. Bake until the cheese melts on your pie, about 15-20 mins. Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Soy free, oat free, potato free, peanut free, cashew free, rice free, allergy friendly